New Clients:
Woman with a dog

Do I Have to Sell My Property to the Government?

It can be intimidating for a homeowner to receive a notification that the government wants their property. This happens more often than homeowners may think, though, and if it happens to you, you want to make sure you have legal representation to get the most compensation for your loss.

If you are being forced to sell your property, contact Coghlan Crowson, LLP right away. Our northeast Texas lawyers can ensure you’re given fair representation during the transaction.

Eminent Domain

Eminent domain is when the government or a private entity forces you to sell your property but compensates you for the land. However, most companies will want to pay homeowners as little as possible to keep their own costs down. That’s why it’s critical for homeowners to have eminent domain attorneys represent them during a time like this.

Homeowner’s Rights

A homeowner does have some rights when it comes to the government trying to take their property. Eminent domain is limited by the 5th Amendment as well as state constitutions and laws. If the government is trying to take your property a homeowner could potentially have grounds for challenging the acquisition including:

  • the government lacks the legal authority to take over the property;
  • the government not having an adequate public purpose for the property; and,
  • the government did not sufficiently negotiate before demanding for the property.

Especially in Texas where pipeline companies are looking to get the most product possible, it’s important for homeowners to know their rights and entitlements before signing a contract. At Coghlan Crowson, LLP we’ve helped homeowners make sure they are properly compensated should the government or private company take over their land.

You don’t want to go up against these companies alone. With more than 40 years of experience, our team knows the law and knows if you should receive more than what you’re offered. Contact our office today at (903) 326-7672 to learn about how we can help you.