James T. Carroll IV
James started his legal career working for U.S. District Judge, William M. Steger. James next joined Coghlan Crowson LLP in 2001 as an associate and worked his way up to partner with the Firm by 2008. James left for a stint as Deputy General Counsel in Houston, Texas with a publicly-traded energy company. He rejoined the Firm as a partner in 2009 and handles litigation and transactional matters related to eminent domain, utilities, businesses, and all aspects of midstream and upstream oil and gas. James has successfully navigated his clients through major right-of-way acquisition projects, real estate acquisitions, and sales, major mechanical equipment failures in wells, compressor stations, and processing plants, land title issues, and disputed business transactions.
- State Bar of Texas 1999, admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas.
- State Bar of Arkansas, 2009
- Board Certified - Oil, Gas & Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Law Clerk to Hon. William M. Steger, U. S. District Judge, Eastern District of Texas 1999-2001.
- Deputy General Counsel for Eagle Rock Energy from 2008-2009
Education and Legal Associations
- Texas Tech University (J.D., Cum Laude 1999)
- Texas A & M University (B.S. 1995)
- Member: Gregg and Smith County Bar Associations; American Bar Association; Institute for Energy Law Advisory Board; Defense Research Institute; State Bar of Arkansas; State Bar of Texas; Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law Section, State Bar of Texas.
- Practice Areas: Upstream and Midstream Oil, Gas & Mineral Law; Eminent Domain; Utilities; Business Transactions; Commercial Litigation; Failure investigation in upstream and midstream oil and gas wells and facilities.
- Completed multiple long-distance right-of-way acquisition projects in Texas and Arkansas for electric transmission lines and gas pipelines involving land acquisition by negotiation and the use of eminent domain.
- Investigated, litigated, and resolved multiple matters involving down hole failures and related blow-outs and failures leading to fires within gathering and processing facilities.
- Counsels upstream energy clients on a variety of day-to-day issues relating to leasing, drilling, production and operations of their oil and gas properties including the drafting and negotiation of necessary agreements.
- Counsels midstream energy clients on issues relating to the processing and sale of hydrocarbon products.
- Counsels utility clients on electric utility disputes relating to real property acquisition and the operation of facilities.
Community Involvement and Affiliations
- Christian Heritage School of Longview, Past President of Board of Trustees
- Fellowship Bible Church of Longview, Board of Trustees and Elder Board Member
- Longview Community Ministries, former Board Member
- 12th Man Foundation, Texas A&M University
- Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University